Wednesday 28 November 2012

NaNoBlogMo2 - Fingerless Gloves

Last year I went to the first annual Fiber Fest. I had a pretty decent haul from the event, though I was trying to be conservative. I got a bag of sheep's wool (which I've only just started processing in the last few months), some roving (which I immediately spun into yarn and haven't done anything with it since), and some really beautiful green yarn.
I was undecided with what to do with the yarn. I bought it from the sale bucket on a whim so I only had one skein and no set project in mind. When I felt the yarn against my skin and saw the lovely colors, I was inspired to make fingerless gloves.
 

I don't know why I have a bit of an obsession with fingerless gloves. I've made a few pairs for myself, and some for friends as well, and I think each pair gets a little better. The first pair I made had a weird seam up on the middle (as I hadn't learned to knit with dpns yet), and the edges were rolled up (because I hadn't yet learned the importance of making hems). The first pair I made for myself had edges and no seams, but they were also misshapen, mismatched in terms of size, and overall too big. I think this pair is the best yet. I knitted on a thumb for extra warmth, and with the entire glove being ribbed, it provides a nice fit all through the glove.
I keep these in my purse in the event of a little last minute hand chilliness. I use them the most at work since my cubicle can get a little chilly, but I still need my fingers free to type. Every once in a while I will wear them just because I like how they look, though. They are impractical on so many levels, but I still like fingerless gloves. Now I just need to decide what to do with the rest of that gorgeous green yarn...
 
Mileage: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment