Thursday 22 November 2012

NaNoBlogMo2 - Egg Nog

Egg nog is one of my absolute favorite things in the world. While my tolerance and desire for sweet things has dropped way down in recent years after I started trying to cut out sugars from my diet, there is still a soft spot in my heart for egg nog. It was always and still is one of my favorite things about the holiday season. While you may consider it the holiday season once Christmas carols are being played at the mall or once people start throwing away their rotted Jack-O-Lanterns, to me the holiday season starts as soon as the egg nog hits the shelves in my local food-o-mart.
Traditional style egg nog.
Pretty sure in Norway they still drink it this way.
Despite my very “do it  yourself” nature, preferring to make my own pie crusts from scratch and even attempting to make homespun yarn on occasion, for some reason homemade egg nog rarely does it for me. We had a recipe we would make from time to time when I was younger, and while it hit the right notes in terms of eggyness and nutmeggyness (there’s a mouthful), it didn’t have that same ultra rich creamy nogfulness you could get from the cartoon. For me, egg nog was always Hood.
Then last year my mother found a recipe for Ponche Crema aka Caribbean Egg Nog. It is soooooooo good. While the ingredients list does make the part of me that has been tracking calories wince, it is a holiday treat and there is no arguing with the results. Last year’s batch got utterly destroyed within minutes, leaving us wishing we had bought enough ingredients for more. This year my mother was smart and bought enough for two batches.
 
Ponche Crema

12 Eggs
3 cans (12oz each) of Evaporated Milk
2 cans (14oz each) of Condensed Milk
1 cup Rum (but let’s be honest….you’ll put a bit more in)
1 tsp Vanilla
Nutmeg
Angostura bitters
Just lovely.
What I drank while I wrote this post.

You just blend everything altogether and serve it over ice with a dash of nutmeg and a dash of bitters. Delicious. I have not tried making this recipe without the rum, so I’m not sure how it would taste. My favorite part was cracking a dozen eggs for one recipe. Yesssh.
Anyway, I hope everyone has a lovely turkey day no matter how you are spending it. And if you need a little nog to get you through your day, I would heartily reccomend this recipe.


Mileage: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment